To tree, or not to tree ...that is the question.

with apologies to the Bard...

I've been mulling over not having a Christmas tree this year. I gingerly brought up the subject to DH last night, to see what kind of response I might get. I mentioned it to DD#2 this morning on the way to school. Neither seemed too disappointed. I would still put out other decorations and we could have a designated spot for gifts. It's not that I don't want a tree, it's that I don't want to be the main sentry guard of the tree and all things attached. Until school is out in a couple weeks, that's what I would be though. I KNOW I would be plucking this adorable angel out of it multiple times a day. He's an angel when he's sleeping (hehe...see the halo?) but awake time (aka play time) is a different story. I think we will revisit putting up a tree when Ace is out of school for the holidays. Then she can stand guard. :cD

On the quilting front, I got my rail blocks done for Bonnie's mystery quilt. There ended up being 110, 10 more than required. Perhaps I can use the extras on the back...... Here are some of my completed blocks to step one. I can't wait to see what step two will be. Bonnie did say it would include some lights.

I love a good mystery quilt but the best thing about this particular mystery is the excitement and sheer number of quilters joining in on the project. Bonnie started a yahoo group for those who want to work along. In just 2 days there are over 750 quilters who joined the group. There are quilters from Europe, Canada and lots from the USA and Australia. I am totally blown away how the participation grown so large, so quickly. LOL- I get the impression Bonnie is overwhelmed too.

Comments

ForestJane said…
I don't put up a tree for that VERY reason.

One year, at an after Christmas sale, I got 4 beautiful crystal ornaments... they would have been entirely too expensive for me had they not been 80% off. Sparkly clear globes, etched with snowflakes on the INSIDE of the ball. Simply lovely ... so I hung them in prominent positions on the front of the tree the next year. Which meant they were the first to hit the floor and shatter when my little social climbers decided to see what was at the top. :D Now I have ONE exquisite crystal ball.
Ruthie said…
I am so glad to see you pondering about buying a tree. I too, have been thinking about that. We will go to my daughter and son-in-laws for our christmas gift exchange and dinner. I just cannot imagine taking the time to decorate a tree this year. Needless to say, I have bitten off more than I can chew............
Ginger Patches said…
Oh he is a cutie. I am a catsitter, well my daughter is anyway and one of the cats we "sit is an Occy cat (ok i know i miss spelled that) we also sit for a friend who raises ragdolls (who by the way has just started quilting) Anyway I am Tammy in Santee one of the 'girls" who wants to get together from the mystery quilt group. I like your blog and will be back at a more decent hour.
One year we used tumbleweeds.... But I love your fabric choices - I am excited to actually make a Christmas Quilt! I like the nuetrals you have in your other pic. They will be very nice together!
Nancy said…
OH i am so glad I am not the only one dealing with the new kitty issue this Christmas. Violet is 1 year old, but still all kitten. She was stray when someone turned her into the shelter, so I know a Christmas tree is not within her life experience. My oldest is coming home for Christmas break next weekend.......she can help me patrol the tree LOL. Happy Holidays!!

NancyPA
patchwork penguin

Popular Posts